Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme where we get to feed that part of our soul that loves lists, by coming up with 10 things related to a certain topic. Top Ten Tuesday was originally created by The Broke and Bookish and is now being hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl and future topics can be found HERE. This weeks topic is: Freebie
My topic – Top 10 books I’ve read this year but haven’t actually reviewed even though they deserve it. I was going to make it Sci-Fi only to keep up with this months theme, but I don’t have enough to fill 10 spots. So its a top 5 sci-fi with a couple of fantasy thrown in.
1. God’s War by Kameron Hurley – Actually the entire Bel Dame Apocrypha series. Read them and immerse yourself in Hurley’s twisted imaginations. Her worlds are often bleak, her characters are always diverse and you are guaranteed a hell of a ride. For my review of her shorts set in the same world click HERE. I read these before God’s War and am glad I did. I think it helps you become more invested in the characters. And the stories are so much fun, you don’t want to miss them.
2. Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson – A mind bending Sci-Fi that I couldn’t come up with a review for. I loved the buddy cop trope, I got major Minority Report vibes and that’s kind of it.
3. Emergency Skin by N.K Jemisin – An eye opening short that is ridiculously relevant.
4. The Sword of Kaigen by M.L. Wang – I’m not sure why I haven’t got a review of this up yet. It’s a wonderfully crafted story that dives into human nature and family bonds. It’s a story of a boy trying to live in the shadow of his father and a mother trying love the life she has and those in it. It also has a fantastically crafted magic system, world building that you can dig your teeth into and some truly epic battle scenes. I wouldn’t be surprised if this took out the SPFBO this time round.
5. Priest of Bones by Peter McLean – A vicious, gangster vibe. Well worth a read.